Woman is stabbed to death after argument

The Courier-Herald

Black Diamond has its share of crime, but the small city had long been spared the trauma of a murder within its borders.

The calm was shattered during the first hour of May 21 when, according to police and court documents, 42-year-old David Wayne Clark stabbed his girlfriend to death. The victim was identified as Sheila Sinclair.

Clark made an appearance Thursday in Aukeen District Court, where a judge set bail at $500,000. It was expected formal charges would be filed late last week.

The situation began unfolding about 12:15 a.m., when Black Diamond police received a call about a domestic violence situation that resulted in a stabbing. Officers Tim MacDonald and Tom Chase were first on the scene, arriving within minutes at the Cedar Brook Mobile Home Park, but found nothing out of the ordinary. That's because friends and relatives had already put Sinclair, 35, into a Ford Bronco and rushed her to Enumclaw Community Hospital.

Sinclair was alive and talking to relatives when they left Black Diamond, but was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital, according to Commander Chris Hurst of the Black Diamond Police Department.

Enumclaw police contacted Sinclair's family at the hospital and provided information to Black Diamond officers, who had not yet entered the trailer Sinclair and Clark shared. Phone calls to the trailer were not answered. Soon, the Black Diamond police made their way into the trailer, where they found Clark, surrounded by blood, on the kitchen floor. He had slash marks on his arms, but authorities cannot yet disclose whether those were the result of an attack or self-inflicted.

Beside him was what Hurst described as a "hunting-type knife."

According to court documents, Clark told police he and Sinclair had been arguing and, finally, he stabbed her twice. Those documents state Sinclair had wounds on her hands consistent with someone defending herself.

Sinclair was able to leave the trailer and run about 150 feet to a relative's home and ask for help, Hurst said.

It was also noted two young boys, 8 and 3, lived with the couple. It's believed the 3-year-old might have witnessed the assault, while police believe the older child left the trailer when the argument began.

Hurst said Black Diamond police were familiar with both Clark and Sinclair. "The police department has responded to that residence" more than once, he said. "We have contacted both these individuals in the past." On those occasions, Hurst said, both parties would claim nothing had occurred.

Kevin Hanson can be reached at

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates